March 24th 2020
IMPORTANT NOTICE – AVALON MARSHES CENTRE CLOSED
As of this evening, in line with Government advice on the Covid-19 outbreak, the Avalon Marshes Centre will be entirely closed, including the car park. All hides on all Natural England NNRs are also closed until further notice. Please do not travel to Shapwick Heath NNR for your daily exercise unless it is your most local green space. Please follow Government advice on social distancing. Let’s all stay safe and look after each other, however we can, in these extraordinary times.
March 23rd 2020
The Marshes Hub Tea Stop will be closed until further notice to ensure the safety of our customers and our staff until further notice. If we do as we are told we will get through this and come out stronger than ever ❤️ Stay safe everyone.
March 21st 2020
Avalon Marshes Centre Update: Following the latest Government announcement, the on site Gallery, Information Point and Marshes Hub Tea-stop Café are all CLOSED until further notice.
March 19th 2020
Unfortunately Somerset Crafts is currently closed for safety reasons and in line with Government recommendation due to Coronavirus/Covid-19. Stay safe everyone.
We will be putting updates on this website & on our facebook page.
From 28th January for 6 weeks…
The Avalon Marshes Centre will be renovating the car park around the Romano and Saxon reconstructions so please enter and park on the North side (nearest to Westhay) to visit us.
We had a very successful autumn exhibition and we still have some special pieces left on show, but will soon be rearranging the gallery for our Christmas exhibits .
We are back up and running with our lovely refurbished gallery. Freshly painted walls and floor, a new roof and wooden cladding on the outside of the building!
We have some lovely reviews on Trip Advisor, have a look for yourselves and please leave us a review too if you have visited us and been impressed by what you have seen!
We are all delighted and excited that Marie Burke has won the President’s Choice Award at the Society of Botanical Artists exhibition.
These were the paintings she submitted. We think the award was very well deserved!
11th February 2017
Natural England are pleased to announce that funding has now been secured for the development of new facilities at the Avalon Marshes Centre that will much improve the experience of visitors to the Avalon Marshes Landscape and its many nature reserves. Works will include upgrading of the Craft Centre, an improved sewerage system and a new joint office for the conservation organisations that manage the nationally important nature reserves. This work will also complement the historical reconstructions that are under construction by South West Heritage Trust and act as a catalyst to further develop the education and engagement activities on site. Though there will be disruption we plan to keep the site as operational as possible during this busy period and both Somerset Crafts and Eco friendly bites will be open for business as usual.
Natural England’s Management Contractors have been appointed and are on site. The works taking place mean there will be changes to the layout of the site and Natural England and its partners will be using email, Facebook and Twitter to keep people informed. The first changes are:
- Temporary toilets will be positioned just behind the Craft Centre adjacent to the Lifelong Learning Centre (south end of the site). These should be operational by Monday 6th February
- The North (Westhay) entrance to the centre will be shut to public access during week commencing 6th February. This entrance will become the main construction works access.
- The existing toilets will be re-located to the area in front of the café. It is hoped to have these operational by Friday 17th February.
- The Somerset Wildlife Trust (SWT) and RSPB portacabins are being re-moved on Monday 13th February. SWT’s reserve staff are now located in Natural England’s office (their new phone number is 01458 860556) and the RSPB’s cabin will re-located at the end of the Natural England offices.
- Eco Friendly bites will be closed on Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th February but the Craft centre and Somerset Crafts will remain open.
The next stages, later in February and early March, are:
- The external refurbishment of the Craft Centre. This includes the replacement of the windows and doors.
- Some minimal internal work inside the Craft Centre
- Construction of a reedbed within the old Peat Moors Centre
- A small pipeline through the car park. This will link the new underground sewerage system (to be built in September) with the final cleansing reedbed.
Further works will be taking place over the year and we will provide updates on these at a later date.
10th October 2016
During Somerset Art Weeks Viv White, Mithra Richardson and Kate Rattray were in residence in the gallery. They had set up their temporary studios and were busy making some new work for the gallery.
Here is Kate’s finished starlings that you might have seen her make. They are available to buy in the gallery.